Sunday, September 8, 2013

Foz do Iguazu, Mighty Falls of Brazil and Argentina





We are in Iguazu or Foz do Iguazu, one of the greatest falls in the world, located in both Brazil and Argentina. Today, we saw it from the Brazilian side; tomorrow we will see it from the Argentine.

It is awesome, dear Readers!  I saw the Niagara Falls just last month and I have to say that the Iguazu Falls is ten times more breathtaking.  The Iguazu is wider and falls in several levels.  It is surrounded by a National Park, all rainforest and wild.

From our tourbook, I quote, "The falls are formed by a succession of 275 interlinking cataracts up to 26 feet in height and cascading over a 1.8 mile wide precipice."

We flew in from Rio last night, and our guide was there to meet us -- thank you, Brazil Nuts for your fine service! As we drove through the state park, dark and thick with vegetation, he talked of his encounters with jaguars, which made us want to see this noble animal -- but not such luck.

We checked into the elegant Hotel dos Cataratas, found our friend Doug Noble, and had dinner with him. We had a lot of catching up to do, because we had begun this trip to Brazil with Doug, and we split up in Manaus so he could see places he hadn't seen before. From Manaus, Lauren and I went on to Salvador, Minas Gerais, and Rio.  So here the three of us are again.




There is a view from our hotel of the Falls, and this morning we took the trail that allowed us to see varying views of the Falls.  We walked down to a wooden walkway that placed us in the midst of the falls. The beauty and might of the falls and rivers were spectacular.

Now, I have to confess something, dear Readers -- my beloved Canon G12 died on me.  This morning as I got ready, I discovered that the shutter wasn't functioning properly. Apparently this is a common problem with the G12.  I did not bring a backup camera, a mistake I will never repeat again.  Fortunately, Doug has a backup camera which he lent me.  He'll share his pictures with me later on, but in the meantime, bear with these fuzzy pictures of this wonderful place.






Here's another confession I'm making -- we have brought rain to every place we've visited - Manaus, Salvador, Minas Gervais, Rio, and Iguazu.  This afternoon, it started to drizzle here. Undaunted we visited the Bird Park, which is near the Park entrance.  It has quite a collection of rare and exotic colorful birds, reptiles, and butterflies. I'm posting a few pictures of the birds, and the last picture is the Coati, an animal that runs around freely in the Park.

To close, I'm sharing this:

Near the entrance of the walkway to Iguazu Falls, there is a marker with a prayer from Psalms 93:4:

Mightier than the thunder of many waters,
Mightier than the waves of the seas,
The Lord on high is Mighty.

God is always greater than all our problems.

How appropriate, I thought, given the world's attention is focused on Syria. One quick statement about this  -- it does not matter what the "talking heads" of the media are saying now; the wheels are in motion.  For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Let us see what happens, but indeed God is always greater than all our problems.

That is all for now, dear Readers. We are drying off and resting before cocktails and dinner.









Read also


 Tay logo,
Cecilia
(

No comments: